Thursday, November 29, 2012

Shoulder reconstruction - Mass General

So I lasted a few months in my brand new job, about six total, and was out on long-term disability for you guessed it, shoulder instability. Before that I felt great. I was riding, playing ice hockey again, getting back to normal. Finding an ortho surgeon after being so long in the military was daunting, especially with my experience with a well-known Massachusetts hospital that missed a complete subscap rupture on an MRI. But I did find one and followed up with him as my shoulder got progressively worse and worse. He decided to send me to the big guns at Harvard Shoulder Service, affiliated with Massachusetts General Hospital. The doc there was going to fix the damn thing once and for all with a complex revision reconstruction called a Latarjet procedure. He was also toying with the idea of a tendon transfer but thankfully my subscap was still attached and did not need it. But with all the instability over the years the ligaments and tendons in my shoulder were stretched and lax. What he did was take my coracoid process and flip that upside down so it would form a bone block so my shoulder would no longer be able to dislocate. He also did yet another revision capsular shift. In addition to the Cryocuff he had done a nerve block so I felt blissfully pain free when I woke up. Until the meds wore off and then it hurt alot. And that is when my life changed. I didn't have a name for it yet and wouldn't for a couple of months yet but the intense burning pain was new and immediate and the doctor said it was normal. At first with the extensive surgery I had I tended to agree with him. It was definitely more painful than all the other surgeries combined that I had over the years but who was I to argue? I would learn to argue later, but by then my gremlin had appeared and bought prime real estate in my shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment