Monday, November 26, 2012

Background : Distal Clavicle Resection - Guam 2002

So I signed all the paperwork and what I felt like my life away and I guess in a way I really did because things with this shoulder have not been right since. I went to "sleep" expecting to wake up with a few small scars from the arthroscopy what I woke up to was a bigger scar and some of my collar bone gone. He started with a subacromial decompression (for the medical types that read this I almost know what that is now) and ended up having to do a distal clavicle resection (excision) both? same? who knows..I am now missing part of my collar bone is what it meant and so it begins.

Most people do fine with this kind of surgery. I have discovered I am not "most people" and when it comes to this shoulder I have discovered it likes to be difficult. So I went to physical therapy; I had played roller hockey with the young officer in charge of the PT clinic and some of the PT techs came out and played too. I was cleared for duty soon enough so I eventually got back into playing roller hockey. Things were looking up again. Going back to normal. I was almost discharged from PT when I was at work watching a dog coming up from anesthesia and he came up a little too fast and started biting the ET tube that was still in its throat. I had to physically restrain the dog and in the process he nailed me in the shoulder with a flailing leg. Not enough to do any damage normally. The pain I felt as my shoulder dislocated for the first time was immense. It does not compare now with the CRPS pain but I still remember the pain and shock of having it dislocate. Well the dog was fine - I was not and I was rushed to the hospital to have it reduced. More painful x-rays, some happy juice and as soon as it clicked back in I was good to go. The problem was it didn't stop there. Dislocations started happening all the time - enough that I was almost a liability at work instead of a help. Back to the doctors I go. Back into daily PT too...Another surgery looms...

No comments:

Post a Comment